15 May 2018
Five inspirational individuals from regional Victorian have been announced as the finalists in this year’s Power of the Country awards.
The Power of the Country awards, organised by Powercor in partnership with the Geelong and Essendon football clubs, acknowledges the selfless work individuals do for their community.
It’s part of the AFL’s Country Festival, which celebrates everything that is great about regional Victoria, the people and their communities.
- Warrnambool resident Robert King, who is part of a cycling group that raises money for local not-for-profit groups. This year he has helped raise $18,000 for a service that supports primary and secondary children build resilience.
- Berwick’s Jack Thompson, who collected 2610 pairs of sock and jocks in a single month for local organisation Clean as Casper. The organisation provides mobile shower facilities for people without a home.
- Yarra Glen resident Robyn Davey, an active community member who volunteers across multiple organisations.===
- Colac’s Peter Hickey, who has devoted much of his life to junior sport in the region and last year was granted life membership of the Otway district football/netball club for outstanding service to junior football.
- Elly Clark of Carisbrook, who has cared for foster children continuously for more than a decade. Mrs Clark and her husband provide kids-in-care with unconditional love and support.
General Manager, Corporate Affairs Melissa O’Neill congratulated the five finalists.
“We have built on the success of last year’s awards and we were overwhelmed by the amazing nominations we received,” Ms O’Neill said.
“As an organisation that operates across western Victoria, we understand the importance of having a strong community.
“Their work makes a real difference to country communities, and while they don’t seek out these awards, we believe it’s important to honour those who are often the backbone of the communities they live in.”
The winner will receive a $5000 individual prize and $5000 for their chosen charity, and will be announced at the Country Festival at the MCG on Saturday 19 May 2018. The four runners up will be each awarded $500.